It’s inspiring (and vital) to get inside the head of your protagonist to fine out what makes him/her tick. Physical characteristics and quirky gestures aside, what is going on behind the scenes in every scene? People act, react based on previous experience, upbringing, expectations, personality… And so do your characters. Once you get to know your characters inside and out, you’ll know how they are going to act in every situation. That narrows your choices considerably as you think about what comes next.
TEN QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR TEEN CHARACTER
- What is your biggest fear?
- What was your most embarrassing moment?
- Who do you most admire and why?
- How is your upbringing different from that of your friends?
- What do you dream about?
- Who is your best friend and what makes that person special?
- If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- What do you like least about yourself?
- What do you want most in the whole world?